IBM 5154 EGA Display
- For more information, see this article's corresponding Wikipedia page: Enhanced_Graphics_Adapter.
|Mounting Technology||Through Hole|
|Capacitor Types||Aluminum Electrolytic, Tantalum, Ceramic, Polymer|
|Destructive Entry||Yes (Power Supply cage)|
|General Information · Repair Cautions|
The IBM Enhanced Color Display model 5154 is a color CRT announced to accompany the new EGA Adapter card on September 10, 1984. It is capable of displaying 64 colors (16 at a time) at a maximum resolution of 640 x 350.
The caps in the power supply are known to go bad, this includes all the electrolytics and RIFA caps.
Symptom or Problem Encountered
The symptoms can vary from not powering up to image issues on the CRT. The RIFA caps are known to explode and release a ton of smoke.
Leaking and aging capacitors, possibly caused by them being cooked over the life of the monitor.
Replace the caps.
- This is a CRT, so you will need to know how to work around high voltages that could be deadly.
- The screw covers on the top of the monitor can be fragile and can break, so they need to be removed carefully. The power supply cage can be completely removed and unplugged, but you will need to drill out the rivets to get it open and inversely will need some small screws or a rivet gun to put it back together.
- There is a slightly different list of capacitors for the 110V and the 220V versions of this display, so make sure you are looking at the correct list of caps.
Power PCB Capacitors
Note model numbers and board revisions here
|C31||1||47 µF||200 V||Through Hole Radial||105C||Aluminum Electrolytic|
|C23||1||2,200 µF||16 V||Through Hole Radial||105C||Aluminum Electrolytic|
|C25, C27||2||1,000 µF||25 V||Through Hole Radial||105C||Aluminum Electrolytic|
|C29||1||220 µF||63 V||Through Hole Radial||105C||Aluminum Electrolytic|
|C7, C8||2||220 µF||350 V||Through Hole Radial||105C||Aluminum Electrolytic|
|C5, C6||2||0.1 µF||275 V (AC)||Through Hole Radial||N/A||Mettalized Polyester Film Capacitor|
|C14||1||1 µF||50 V||Through Hole Radial||105C||Aluminum Electrolytic|
|C11||1||47 µF||35 V||Through Hole Radial||105C||Aluminum Electrolytic|
|C13||1||10 µF||35 V||Through Hole Radial||105C||Aluminum Electrolytic|
Power PCB Capacitors
|RefDes||Qty||Compatible Part Number||Order Links|
|C31||1||UVZ2D470MHD / ECA-2DHG470B||DigiKey Mouser|
|C23||1||16PX2200MEFC10X20 / 860020378021||DigiKey Mouser|
|C25, C27||1||860020475018||DigiKey Mouser|
|C29||1||63PX220MEFC10X16 / UVZ1J221MPD||DigiKey Mouser|
|C7, C8||1||ESK227M350AQ4AA||DigiKey Mouser|
|C5, C6||1||890324025017||DigiKey Mouser|
If parts are not available or different selection is preferred, you can use the values in the Original Parts section to perform a parametric search.
- Digikey BOM: https://www.digikey.com/ (ISThere a BOM we can get?)
- MOUSER.com BOM for capacitors for the US (110V) version of the CRT.
- IBM's Archive page for the 5154 EGA Display.
- IBM 5154 full schematic. ** This always comes up "TROJAN" on Malwarebytes **
- IBM 5154 Full Schematics, notated schematic, zoomable